Oral Histories are both one of the oldest forms of recording history and one of the newest! Long before the written language, stories were passed down orally from generation to generation to share the history of families and culture.
This cemetery, on the property of the Sisters of Charity behind the Pristine Riverview Retirement home, is the only known family graveyard in Delhi Township. It holds the marked headstones of two families, six belonging to the Lees, six belonging to the Darbys, and one belonging to baby Margaret Anderson (daughter of J & E), who died in 1841.
The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati archives houses a wealth of local, national, and international historical resources in its collections just waiting to be discovered! The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati is an apostolic Catholic community of women religious that exists to carry out the Gospel of Jesus Christ through service and prayer in the world. Since the Community was founded in 1852, the Sisters of Charity have sponsored hundreds of schools, hospitals, orphanages and social service agencies throughout the United States as well as many countries including China, Peru, and Guatemala. In the past two years, the department has made accessibility a top priority for its collections through a variety of endeavors.
Golfers at Western Hills Country Club sometimes stumble upon a plaque on the course honoring one Captain James Fitzmorris, RAF, who died when he crashed his Sopwith Camel aeroplane on takeoff from the Club.
Anita Klawitter’s story of how she found her great-grandmother Kate’s real name and biological father. Kate and her husband, Eduard Klawitter owned the Klawitter’s General Store and Saloon which used to sit on Neeb Road just across the street from Our Lady of Victory Church.
As the congregation marks its bicentennial, it might be good to recall Judge Doan's words in a speech to his fellow parishioners...
"I'm really attempting to demonstrate here is that our predecessors in this venerable old congregation gave their time and their resources to provide for us. They had faith in us and in the future of Shiloh back then."