Images of America - Delhi: Cincinnati's Westside
Expeditions led by John Cleves Symmes in 1788 brought the first settlers to the Delhi area. But the township really came to life in 1817, when the Ohio legislature passed a bill to name the area “Del High.” There are many speculations about the origin of this name, but the true answer has been lost to history. Many farms sprouted up in Delhi, as well as nearly 60 greenhouses, but only about a half-dozen remain today. As the greenhouses and farms grew, so did the population. Schools, churches, and businesses were built, and in 1829, the Sisters of Charity was established. Residents of Delhi survived the Cholera epidemic of the mid-19th century and three major tornadoes. Delhi citizens are devout, and many continue to live in the same area in which they were born.
$19.00 + Tax
The History of Delhi Township
by Larry Duba and Sue Schuler Brunsman, 1976. Written in 1976 as part of Delhi's celebration of our nation's Bicentennial, The History of Delhi Township chronicles the story of Delhi beginning with the settlements and encampments of indigenous peoples - the Paleo, Adena, Hopewell and Ft. Ancient - to the influx of European settlers, and finally the urbanization of a once rural township.
The book tells the history of government, churches, schools, and organizations. Learn about early settlements along the river and the movement of people to the hilltops; how vineyards and dairies that once dotted the landscape in the 19th century gave way to the rise of the floral industry with more than 55 businesses growing under glass; and finally how religious institutions influenced education and social services. Even though the book is more than 40 years old, it is as pertinent today as it was in the 1970s.
$19.00 + Tax
The new pioneers : the people of Delhi, 1830-1900
by Shirley Althoff and Peg Schmidt, 1989. Includes the 1900 federal census of Delhi Township. In addition to a general history, this book includes family biographies based on families living in Delhi Township, Ohio, in the mid- to late- 1800s. Family names include Lipps, Runck, Story, Feist, Wolfer, Elsaesser, Backscheider, Martini, and many more. More than 100 photos and illustrations add to the stories of the people of Delhi, Sayler Park, Riverside, Sedamsville, Covedale and West Price Hill.
Each chapter begins with a section of the Hamilton County Atlas of 1914, containing plats and landowner lots of Delhi Township, so readers and researchers can see where their pioneer ancestors lived.
$19.00 + tax
No Witnesses: The Story of Robbery and Murder at the Cabinet Supreme Savings and Loan
by Kate March, 2008. "No Witnesses." Those two words and the thinking behind them drove three petty thugs to become mass murderers. Their crime, which rocked the sleepy suburban Delhi Township, did, in fact, have witnesses, before and after it was committed, including the women they killed. This is the story of how top notch police work, emerging technology, and interdepartmental cooperation led to the murderers' arrests. No Witnesses was written based upon full examination of the interview tapes, the trial transcripts, and interviews of the key characters involved, including John Leigh. After being sentenced to death, the three killers' sentences were commuted to life in prison.
$19.00 + Tax
A BICENTENNIAL HISTORY OF GREEN TOWNSHIP: UNCOVERING A JEWEL IN THE CROWN OF THE QUEEN CITY, 1809-2009
by Joe Flickinger, 2010. In 1809, Cincinnati was officially a burgeoning Wild West town. It was called the “gateway to the west” by the people pouring onto the public landing from the myriad of steamboats docking by the river’s edge. Meanwhile, a densely forested, recently opened area just [a few?] miles outside the city was being organized. A handful of rough and tumble frontiersman took a break from cutting their farms from the forest and answered the call from the constable to attend a meeting establishing a township. This township met the requirements of the Land Ordinance of 1785—a thirty-six square mile tract of land; the only one laid out this way in the Symmes Purchase. These men unknowingly were helping to set the stage for what would become one of the largest townships in Ohio. In 2009, two hundred years after its founding, Green Township has become known as the “Westside” by outsiders. To those who live there, it is called home. This book celebrates the history and heritage of Green Township, and its journey from isolated frontier wilderness to being one of the largest townships in the state of Ohio. Numerous photographs, an appendix, a bibliography, and a full-name index add to the value of this work. 2011, 5½x8½, paper, index, 130 pp. ISBN: 0788453092
$19.00 + Tax